The Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists is responsible for the health and welfare of all West Virginia citizens who seek professional services in barbering, cosmetology, manicuring and aesthetics by striving for sanitary conditions, procedures, applications, and competent services.
Services are provided in three areas: Board Members, Central Office Staff, and Inspectors.
- Contract with adminstrators for licensing examinations for graduates of all schools of barbering and cosmetology in the State.
- Establish and regulate the curriculum in all schools of barbering and cosmetology by legislative rule.
- Conduct formal disciplinary hearings when warranted.
- Establish and regulate licensing standards for individuals, shops and schools by legislative rule.
Central Office Staff:
- Prepares and supervises the annual budget for the Board.
- Maintains a computerized database of all active licensees and students in the barbering, cosmetology, manicuring and aesthetics professions.
- Maintains a computerized database for all licensed shops in the barber, cosmetology and manicuring professions, and a database for all registered booth renters in these professions.
- Provides for the collection and accounting of all licensing and examination fees.
- Provides support services for the five inspectors assigned to the Board.
- Provides support services for the five Board members.
- Maintains communications with the licensing boards of other 49 states, the general public and members of the professional community.
- Conduct frequent inspections of all licensed barber, beauty and manicuring shops, and all schools of barbering and cosmetology.
- Conduct investigations of complaints related to the barber and cosmetology professions.
- Enforces state laws and legislative rules relative to the barbering and cosmetology professions.