INSTRUCTOR DOCUMENTS AND INFORMATION
Process and Procedures to Obtain an Instructor Certification with the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists
To obtain the professional must complete the following:
- Apply for admissions to WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education and successfully complete the 2-day Teaching Techniques Seminar.
- Pass the National Instructor Theory Exam by a minimum score of 80%. The test will be administered by D.L. Roope Administrations.
- Pass the State Law Exam by a minimum score of 80%. The test will be administered by D.L. Roope Administrations.
- Complete the application for the Instructor Certification and submit as directed to the WVBBC.
Instructions on the process of applying to WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education
- Go to the following web link to complete the online application https://intraweb.wvutech.edu/admissions/online-application.php
- Complete the online application by providing the information for all the items that are BOLD PRINT and ASTERISK *
- Your “Intended Major” is – Career Technical Education Certificate
- You are applying for the Semester of the date of the seminar (Ex. June Seminar – Summer Semester, Seminar in August or November – Fall and Seminar in February or April -- Spring)
- After completing and submitting the online application, contact Mr. Richard Yocke, Teaching Associate Professor with an email at Richard.Yocke@mail.wvu.edu
- If there is any questions contact Mr. Yocke by email or cell at 304-544-9990
Information and Details of the 2 Day Teaching Techniques Seminar
- The seminar will be conducted from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday and 8:30 AM to 2:15 PM Tuesday.
- During the seminar you will get the theoretical background and skills essential for success as a cosmetology educator. You receive an overview of teaching methods, learning styles, lesson planning, equity and diversity in the classroom, mandated reporting, and legal and ethical issues.
- There is a cost of the Tuition for the 1 semester hour of college credit. Price for the tuition will be noted in the memo provided by Ms. Yocke. Registration will be handled on the 1st day of the seminar and instructions on how to make payment will be detailed by the instructor.
- A certificate of completion will be issued upon payment of tuition due and completion of course.
- NOTE: Those who have not paid the tuition for the 1-hour credit at WVU Tech will not be issued a certificate for completion of the seminar until the tuition is paid. After 30 days the college will assess a fee for unpaid tuition and after 6 months their accounts will be placed in a collection agency.
Information on registering for National Instructor Theory Examination and State Law Exam
- Contact D.L. Roope Administrations to schedule for these exams at 888-375-2020 to register by phone or online at http://www.dlroope.com/west_virginia.cfm?state=7 before the deadline listed.
- The National Instructor Theory exam has questions that pertain to: Instructional Methods, Instructional Planning & Classroom/Clinic Management. For information on this exam, please clink on the following link for scope of the examination http://www.dlroope.com/forms/all_states/NIC_Instructor_Written_CIB.pdf.
- Question State Law Exam will assess that the applicant has knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations of the that govern the profession. For information on study materials, please click on Laws, Rules, & Statutes and study West Virginia Code Chapter 30 Article 27 or click on the link below: http://www.wvbbc.com/Portals/WVBBC/docs/WEST%20VIRGINIA%20CODE%20CH%2030%20ARTICLE%2027.pdf.
- The National Instructor Theory Examination and the State Law Exam will be administered on following the seminar on Tuesday afternoon. A representative from D.L. Roope Administrations will proctor the exam.
Applying for the Instructors Exam
- Once you have passed the exams with D.L. Roope Administrations and completed the course with WVU Tech, you will submit an Instructor Application to the Board office. There is a $50 certification fee that is required with the instructor application, along with a copy of your test results from D.L. Roope Administrations and an official transcript/certification from WVU Tech. Please see the instructor application for other required documentation.
Cabell County Career Technical Center, 1035 Norway Ave., Huntington, WV
|Seminar Scheduled ||Deadline |
|August 28 -- 29 ||August 14 |
|November 6 and 7 ||October 23 |
|February 5 and 6, 2018 ||January 22, 2018 |
|April 30 and May 1, 2018 ||April 16, 2018 |